Thursday, June 10, 2010

HYDRANGEAS….101 !



Despite that Hydrangeas are held in rather low esteem in certain circles, I absolutely love them. Mine are blooming, and I fill the house with their bouquet. Giant blooms lend a lush, sumptuous feel to the surroundings and their rich jewel tones feel luxurious on my eyes. When the plants are spent, I dry them. (more about that later) I can’t imagine a day without some sort of Hydrangea brightening it.



                                             Beautiful even by candlelight!




They sweeten the garden now and surely, if they could be tasted, these magnificent blooms would be as cool on the tongue as sprays of blue snow. When out of doors, I am stopped by their gorgeous and uncomplaining beauty. I cut them for me and I cut them for friends; a perfect gift.

They are like the bowl of Chinese noodles: no matter how much you eat the bowl seems to remain full







Hydrangeas are easy to grow, just position them on the north side of the house as they do not require much sun. Picture above is the northside of my house. Water when needed, as with all plants. If you want to tweak the color, it is simply an adjustment of the pH of the soil. I am speaking of going from pink to blue or from blue to a more intense hue. The pH needs to be lowered to a level of 5.2 to 5.5. This can be done by adding aluminum sulfate, but be sure to water the plants well before this application or the roots of the plant will be in risk of being burnt. Much more sensible to me is to lower the pH by adding organic matter: shredded leaves, coffee grounds, tea leaves, fruit and vegetable peels….all easily had and all benevolent additions to the soil.

In the fall, hydrangeas dry easily and put a charming touch on things throughout the winter months. Actually, if dried with a minimum of care, they can last for years, but why, if there is always a new crop to dry for a new season? Hydrangeas almost dry themselves and there are options. Water drying is my favorite. Cut the blossoms toward the end of the season leaving long stems, say 15” to 18”. Put them in a vase with fresh water covering at least half of the stem. Allow the water to evaporate naturally and the flowers will naturally and gradually dry in like manner. When the water is gone, the flowers should be dry and ready to adorn any surround.


Dried Hydrangeas.........18 months old!

Another drying option is to hang the hydrangea stems upside down, but not in a bunch. Separate the individual stems. Hydrangeas can also be left to dry on the plant and of course, if not the most reliable results, it is certainly the easiest!

This may be becoming redundant but are you surprised that Hydrangeas, those billowing turquoise clouds of fairy flowers are fast out pacing the Rose as the favorite flower in bridal bouquets?


                                                                                                     
I simply love them..........and I bet I'm not the only one!



1 Comments:

Blogger Melissa said...

I am proud to say we just planted some this spring!! I can't wait to bring some in to decorate the house!

June 10, 2010 at 7:41 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home