Friday, June 25, 2010

PRICELESS PRECIOUS PEELS !!


Pursuant to my suggestion to put tea leaves and coffee grounds on your hydrangeas, of course I mean after you have used them (!), there’s one more thing I want to share. It’s also about composting, but not exactly. At the moment, I haven’t taken the time nor the effort to properly compost although I greatly admire those of you who do. There is a simpler solution which I embrace……and with a certain amount of passion. It’s about the latent magical promise contained in fruit and vegetable peelings!


Years ago, I lived near an older lady who would walk to her garden almost everyday to empty a bowl of raw peelings around the roots of her bushes, shrubs, trees and things which in her garden grew exceptionally well. It was a long time later that I began imitating her example. It takes almost no effort, this contribution to nature decomposes quickly and if there is a bunny or two around, they also profit. I have too many bunnies to count!



One year ago, I planted a small orchard, apples, plums, pears and a cherry tree. It is my experience that fruit does not set after just one year, but there is fruit on every one of my little trees! I give all the credit to the peelings that go unfailingly from my kitchen to the base of the trees except when sometimes to rose bushes and other such stuff. 
                                                                         

One more issue which needs a brief nod: we all know about the “give back” policy which probably has its roots in ancient Hebrew tithing laws. Whatever, it’s a principle and it works and it works wonderfully well when organic matter is given back to the earth. Have a look at my little fruit trees



                                And thanks for listening!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home